IGCSE＋IBDP is a high school curriculum used in many schools. Although the two courses belong to two different systems (Cambridge and IB), many experts believe that IGCSE is the best IBDP prep course compared to MYP.
First of all, from the point of view of the curriculum, IGCSE courses are divided into the following categories:
- Core Subjects: English, Mathematics and Sciences
- Elective subjects: Economics, Business Studies, Computer Science, etc.
The IB courses are divided into:
- Studies in language and literature
- Language acquisition
- Individuals and societies
- The arts (or additional sciences, individuals and societies, or languages course)
From the course selection comparison, IGCSE and IBDP have three similarities:
- Course specifics: Both are 2-year programmes, with a standardised final examination prior to graduation
- Curriculum breakdown: Both consists of foundation and advanced courses
- Evaluation criteria: Global uniform marking
Thus, compared to the project-based IB MYP curriculum, IGCSE and IBDP, which are also based on grades, have a higher degree of cohesion and are more suitable. This is why many international schools choose IGCSE to connect IBDP.
Is there a direct relationship between IGCSE and IBDP and university admissions?
The answer is yes. Choice of subjects aside, the academic performance has a direct relationship as well. Universities not only look at the student’s grades, but also the key subjects. In some cases, if students do not have the relevant IB subject, the university will judge based on the relevant IGCSE results.
For students looking to study in Europe and the United States, the preparation process is like a long marathon; all successful students start planning and preparation early.